Updated : July 27, 2005
Send your feedback
Description of Svchost.exe in Windows XP
Each instance of svchost.exe process seen in the Task Manager hosts a group of services. To see the list of services hosted by each instance of svchost.exe, you may use the Tasklist.exe console utility available in Windows XP Professional Edition.
Click Start, Run and type CMD.EXE
Type tasklist /svc >c:\taskList.txt
The taskList.txt will contain the list of Processes, their Process IDs and the Services running under each Process.
WARNING: There are viruses circulating in the internet which uses the same name as svchost.exe. The legit svchost.exe will be present in the %windir%\system32 folder.
- List all processes and their Command-line parameters
- What's the suspicious Rundll32.exe process?
- How to manage Windows Startup?
Third-party Process managers
- Process Explorer - Sysinternals
- Security Task Manager - Windows XP process viewer
- DiamondCS - Advanced Process Manipulation