Custom Level and Default Level buttons in Internet Options Security tab are grayed outPublished: Oct 16, 2004
Updated : July 25, 2005
Send your feedback
When you open Internet Options Security tab, you may be unable to alter the security setting for any Zone, because the Custom Level and Default Level buttons may be greyed out. This is due to restrictions set in the registry.
- Click Start, Run and type REGEDIT.
- Navigate to the following locations:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Policies \ Microsoft \ Internet Explorer \ Control Panel
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software\ Policies \ Microsoft \ Internet Explorer \ Control Panel
- Backup the keys by exporting it to REG file. See Method 2 here.
- In the right-pane, select the SecChangeSettings value and delete it.
- Then, navigate to the following location:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Policies \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Internet Settings
- In the right-pane, select the Security_options_edit value and delete it.
- Close Registry Editor.